Monday, September 13, 2010

I am the DNFingest


an entry on how to epicly fail.....

about a week ago I found a link to michaux endurance series. I had never been so I decided why not and I pre reg for the 40 miles of "The Terror of Teaberry". I am at the point where I can do a 40-50 mile MTB ride at will and am figuring this race should be no problem. I may not be that fast but at least I dont quit. Well untill today....

The forecast called for rain, ironically I wanted that. I was think man the trails are so dry they are kinda of slippery. Rain could make them tacky again. Well I was right kinda. before leaving th radar in michaux area showed the rain clearing, but driving out from the burgh its never stopped once I got to the laurel highlands all the ways to Michaux.

i get there sign up, and get myself ready. I feel good, I actually feel like I could do well today. At the race meeting they says its only 36 miles. Now I am thinking this might be easy. 

the start...was le-mans style. I hate le-mans style starts I dont totally suck at running, but I do totally suck at running with cycling shoes. We start "the couple hundred yards run" more like a half mile trail run to get back to our bikes.  Tomi McMillar got a great shot of me suffering on the run. BTW all photo credits go to him on this one.

I'm the guy on the far right with bestest jersey's in the world from the shop that sponsors me. 




Get on my bike right behind Aaron. hit first section of singletrack. Its packed and everyone is just trying to go with out hitting people. behind him I am figuring ok just hold his wheel. 

First single track

we then hit a long shallow uphill and I pass some people but aaron passes more. I lose his wheel, never saw him again.

then the 'fun' began. I look up and see a line of people starting to walk. Rocky section after rocky section its all tough and barely rideable. Apparently this is easy compared to the stuff I dont see. We get out of the first rocky section and hit gravel road. then hit some fun flowly loamy singletrack with these pretty ferns everywhere.

I am enjoying life right here, this was REALLY fun stuff. tomi got a picture its was damn good looking trail.



so I am now taking everything as fast as possible. the new 29er is so fast and stable and I am just going as fast i can. untill I hit a couple small rocks and get bounced then here the hiss from the rear. I yell FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKK excuse my michaux. pull off. I try to air it up and see if the Stans will seal it. it doesnt its a fairly large 6mm hole. It doesnt, its tube time. 

Its so muddy I can not get the tube in with out it getting covered in 'forest". I pump it up much harder to the feel than my front tire and get on my way. I have watch 15-20 people pass me. 10 minutes later I hit some chunk at speed and I now hear hissing. Its the tube, I wish it was a rattlesnake. Put my second tube in(I am now out of tubes) and get on my way. I pump this tube up much harder than the last one. For the 5 minutes I got to ride it, it was pretty much the least grip tire ever.  yep 5 minute thats how long it lasted. i am now out of tubes. Sweet. I have tube patch kits but its rainy and I will probably never get one to stick. 

I hear motos, it the sweeper crew. their KTMs are sweet. I so want one of those right now over my flatted out bike.  they give me some paper towels. I walk for 30 minutes back to last road I was on.there is patch a tube and ride it back to the car. i feel defeated and it sucks but I dont trust the rear tube.. This is my first DNF ever. I also drove 6 hours round trip to not finish.

.....to be continued


continued...


after at least 30 minutes riding the road I get back to my car. At least it over. I figured id hang around and take some pictures of the riders finishing.


Lance showed up, I wonder what trek would do if they found him riding a Cannondale



Jay Blews had the best showing out of the westernish Pa SS.



Rob finished trust me he badass for that.




Montana is dazed and confused



all in all not a bad day. Some freeze thaw/penn state peeps were great cheerer upper at the end. The drive back was sunny.





Its now time for Month of Mud. Which is the series that I credit to my start in bike racing. This year I plan to run the Single Speed class. I should be able to make 4 of the 5 races skipping sadly, the North Park TT due to a commitment. 


1 comment:

  1. Did the tubes push through the original hole? I cary a couple dollar bills in my patch kit. I fold them in half and place them over the hole. This prevents the tube from pushing through the original hole and pinching or puncturing. This also works as a temporary fix for sidewall tears.

    ReplyDelete